The village of Aymestrey lies on the River Lugg, close to Leominster.
The name of Aymestrey is translated as the tree of a Saxon man named Aethelmund.
Close to the village are limestone quarries, and over the years many Silurian fossils have been found there.
Mortimer’s Cross within the parish was where the first battle of the Wars of the Roses was fought, ending with Edward IV being put on the throne.
Churches of Aymestrey
- St. John the Baptist & St. Alkmund's Church - Aymestrey
The church is mostly Norman, with some later alterations.Read More >
News from the Past Aymestrey
Buildings of Aymestrey
- Yatton Court History
Yatton Court was built in around 1780 on the site of an existing half timbered building, and has been much extended and renovated over the centuries.Read More >
- Gatley Park
Gatley Park along with the manor of Leinthall Starkes were originally owned by the Crown and the park itself goes back to the Middle Ages, but at the beginning of Elizabeth l reign they were given to one William Home; from him through the Croft family until they were conveyed in 1633 to Sir Sampson Eure, a President of the Coucil in the Marches.Read More >