Brampton Bryan is a tiny village, located near to the Welsh and Shropshire borders.
During the Civil War, this little village was once the location of a fairly big battle as is described in detailed in the link to Brampton Bryan Hall on the right.
Churches of Brampton Bryan
- St. Barnabas Church - Brampton Bryan
The church of St. Barnabas dates from the mid 17th century and was one of just six erected during the English Commonwealth. There was an earlier church, which was razed to the ground in the civil war of 1643 when Brampton Bryan castle was under siege.Read More >
Buildings in Brampton Bryan
- Brampton Bryan Hall
This beautiful, still privately owned, house sits close to the Shropshire border, and was built in 1660 at the end of the Civil War after the destruction of Brampton Bryan Castle. In the mid 18th century it was much enlarged and renovated, and the owners have kept the building in excellent condition, indeed it was featured in Howards End.Read More >
- Brampton Bryan Castle
Brampton Bryan Castle sat on a floodplain close to the River Teme, from where they could keep a close eye on the route from Wales through to Ludlow.Read More >
News from the past Brampton Bryan
People of Brampton Bryan
- Robert Harley
Born in 1661, his father was Sir Edward Harley Robert Harley.Read More >
Robert was an exceptionally important parliamentarian, and was described as a “ political wizard and master of schemes” but he was also known to be a tricky character.
He became Sheriff of Herefordshire in 1689; Speaker of the House of Commons in 1701; Chancellor of the Exchequer in 1710; Treasurer in 1711; Housekeeper, St. James’ Palace in 1714
He was a Presbyterian who loved the country life, and who took pains to deplore bad behaviour in others, but who also sided with villains; cheated on his wife appallingly and became rather too fond of the drink.