http://www.debhopton.com/?educ=maps7 Weobley has an absolute wealth of beautiful black and white buildings
http://www.bookclubcorner.co.uk/?educ=maps17 At one time there was a castle which is reputed to have been built by the de Lacy family towards the end of the eleventh century, but that fell into ruin and has now totally disappeared, probably due to the fact that villagers helped themselves to the stones in order to build their own houses!
http://www.allaerialsandsatellites.co.uk/?educ=maps19 Weobley is home to one of Herefordshire’s biggest and most impressive timber houses – the Ley which was built in 1589.
essays on good communication skills There was a range of industry in the past, with thriving shops; Weobley found wealth in the wool trade and then became famous for making ale, gloves and nails, although the nail factory burned to the ground in 1943.
Charles 1 visited Weobley in 1645 after the battle of Naseby, staying at The Unicorn which was a coaching house. It was renamed The Throne in honour of the king’s visit, and still stands although it is now a private house. The “new” Unicorn pub, built in the 17th century specialised in home made cider from its own orchard; help with harvesting the apples was rewarded with tokens for spending in the pub!
The Domesday Book referred to Weobley as Wibelai – Wibba being a sixth century Saxon chief, and ley meaning a forest clearing.
In the 20th century there was a devastating fire in Broad Street which coupled with the alleged fact that the Marquess of Bath had at least 4o buildings taken down, meant that Weobley dramatically decreased in size! The destroyed area is now a garden.
Churches of Weobley
Buildings in Weobley
- Weobley Union Workhouse
The Workhouse at Weobley was built in 1837 at White Hill, and the building still exists but became the home of the Council Offices and has now been converted into flats.Read More >