breinton

In 1785, a Glaswegian by the name of John Cranston developed huge nurseries in the Breinton parish and one of his sons, James, was responsible for planting most of the Cedar trees around Hereford. Both men are buried under a Cedar of Lebanon tree planted by James in the churchyard and the name of Cranston lives on in the shape of an onion – Cranston’s Excelsior – which was named in their honour.

Related Pages