Buildings

Aylton Court, a large Georgian house built of brick, was originally owned by Miss Eliza Miles, of Clifton, Gloucestershire and in her final years, Firbeck Hall near Tickhill in Yorkshire. When she died she left the estate at Aylton to her cousin Philip William Skinner Miles. Over the years it was rented out to various tenants some of which are shown below, and recently it was up for sale as a large family house – good to see that it has not been split into flats or turned into a hotel. Continue reading

Thomas Harley, a man who had made a fortune supplying the British army, decided that he needed a house to reflect his wealth and standing; he first employed Capability Brown who chose the ideal location for what was to become Berrington Hall – one which would afford wonderful views across to the Black Mountains in Wales as well as swathes of Herefordshire countryside. Continue reading

The original building on the site of Bodenham Manor was pulled down when the Rev. Henry Arkwright was appointed as clergyman of Bodenham in 1842 by his uncle John Hungerford Arkwright who was the grandson of Sir Richard Arkwright of cotton spinning fame.
A new house, The Vicarage, was built in 1843/44 which belonged to the church, and Henry Arkwright with his fast growing family moved in in 1850 – he stayed there until he died in 1889. Continue reading

This beautiful, still privately owned, house sits close to the Shropshire border, and was built in 1660 at the end of the Civil War after the destruction of Brampton Bryan Castle. In the mid 18th century it was much enlarged and renovated, and the owners have kept the building in excellent condition, indeed it was featured in Howards End. Continue reading

Brinsop Court was originally built in the 13th century, but of course has been much extended and renovated since then. It lies some six miles from Hereford in glorious Herefordshire countryside and has a rich history, which includes the “fact” that St. George killed his dragon at nearby Brinsop Church. Continue reading

Broadfield Court began life in the 13th century, and in the 14th century was owned by a monastic order. By the 16th century the house was privately owned and in 1770 the estate was settled on Robert Phillipps. Over the following years, the house was allowed to fall into disrepair until it was purchased by John H. Burchall who began renovations in the 19th century. Continue reading

Brockhampton Court near Fownhope in Herefordshire, is not to be confused with Brockhampton Estate which is located near Bromyard.

The original house, a rectory built in the mid eighteenth century and lying close to the Ross on Wye to Hereford road, was known as Upper Court and first was owned by the Dean and Chapter of Hereford Cathedral before being sold to the Skyrme family whereupon it passed down through the family until it was again sold to William Stallard in 1833.
Continue reading

The Manor of Burton Court dates from around the 11th century, but the present house originated in the 14th century with rebuilds in the nineteenth century. Further work was carried out in 1912. The following photograph was kindly provided by Edward Simpson of Burton Court, which is enjoying a new lease of life as a hugely popular venue for weddings, as well as providing facilities for conferences etc. Continue reading

In the sixteenth century, after the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the Manor of Nether Frome was purchased by Richard Harford of Bosbury, (later Sir Richard, described as a “Usurer” in parliament) and when he died, his widow Martha leased it to Michael Hopton from Ludlow whom she eventually married, and they built what was known then as the Strong House, a moated building, which event saw the beginning of some 300 years of Hopton ownership of the site. Michael Hopton himself died on 1st April 1668. Continue reading

The original Croft Castle is thought to have been built in the eleventh century by Bernard de Croft, a Norman Knight, who was succeeded by many eminent Crofts, including Hugh de Croft – murdered in 1317 by the Herefordshire Lacys whilst trying to negotiate peace in Ireland. Continue reading

Dewsall Court is not the most impressive of the country houses in Herefordshire, but it is lovely and has survived the years since it was first built in the 17th century by Richard Pearle in spite of an application to knock it down in the mid twentieth century. Continue reading

 

Dormington Court dates from the early 17th century, and became much larger when  an extension was built in the early 18th century.

It is part timber frame and part brick, and originally boasted a superb stable block;   it is now a hotel and  many of the original farm buildings have been bulldozed and replaced with a housing estate. Continue reading

Eastnor Castle is quite simply – beautiful!   Constructed from sandstone quarried from the Forest of Dean, this magical building positively glows in the light of the rising or setting sun and enchants from every angle; it enjoys magnificent views of the surrounding countryside and the Malvern Hills, and still has a large herd of red deer in the park. Continue reading

Gatley Park along with the manor of Leinthall Starkes were originally owned by the Crown and the park itself goes back to the Middle Ages, but at the beginning of Elizabeth l reign they were given to one William Home; from him through the Croft family until they were conveyed in 1633 to Sir Sampson Eure, a President of the Coucil in the Marches. Continue reading

This is certainly not the biggest or most impressive of the old country houses in Herefordshire, but it does have a certain charm. Dating from the early 19th century, and lying a few miles south of Ross on Wye, it had a succession of owners until the present day where it has gone the way of many other such houses, and is now a hotel. Continue reading

Great Brampton House is a Regency Building on the Site of an older property, probably built for John Pye who sold it in 1825 to Charles Ballinger. In 1853 the house was acquired by the Murray Aynsley family who are thought to have made many of the alterations that leave the house in the basic form which we see today. Continue reading

By far the most common reason for people coming before the Court was Larceny and there was a wide range of punishments recorded for this crime…………ranging from a few days to several months in gaol, sometimes with a whipping thrown in, or hard labour. Occasionally if it was a second offence, then the sentence was Transportation for a few years. Continue reading

Set in the lovely countryside on the edge of Much Marcle, Homme house in its original state was built of stone, but all that remains now of that building is the tower.  A devastating fire resulted in the house being rebuilt in the early 17th century, and it was further altered in the 19th century.  Today it is mainly red brick. Continue reading

How Caple Court started life as a modest farm house, and it was not until much later that it was extended and improved until it became the house we can see today. Interestingly, it was called How Caple Court even back in the 18th century when it was not very grand at all. Continue reading

This lovely manor house was once part of the Harley Estate and was used as a hunting lodge; It is also believed to have been lived in by the family of Florence Nightingale, and also Lord Byron who worked on “Childe Harold” here, although to date I can find no concrete proof of this. Continue reading

Moccas Court was built in the early eighteenth century, and is a very fine, very large brick built mansion. Over the centuries, the Cornewall family retained ownership, but now it has gone the way of so many country houses that are so expensive to maintain and it is used variously as a wedding location; B & B, and party venue. Continue reading

Pencraig Court is a fairly large house lying between Ross on Wye and Monmouth, with wonderful views over the River Wye, and beautiful grounds; although it is presently being used as a hotel, it hasn’t been altered so drastically that it could not be turned back into a private residence. Continue reading

Sarnesfield Court was a lovely building, constructed over time by improving and enlarging earlier houses on the site;  it was demolished in 1955/77 and a new house was erected in its place using the lovely stable block.  The beautiful grounds and some of the walled garden still remain. Continue reading

Shobdon Court was built in the early 18th century when it was bought from Robert Chaplin by Sir James Bateman, and was similar in design to Clarendon House in London; it was hugely improved in the mid 1800s, and then further altered towards the end of the 19th century. Continue reading

The Grange dates back to the 15th century although not in its present form, and was owned by James Halfhide (or Hawfield) before being passed to Anthony Hawfield, Richard Hawfield and John Hawfield successively. More Hawfields followed, but in 1749 Richard Hardwicke owned the Grange and by 1802 the house was tenanted to Robert Drew who eventually bought it.
Robert Drew remained on the estate until 1818. Continue reading

Upper Hall sits out of sight on the hillside above Ledbury nestling beneath Dog Wood, and has origins which go back to the early thirteenth century, undergoing a few name changes over time, originally being known as Aula Superior, then Over Court, Over Hall and finally Upper Hall. Continue reading

Wessington Court, Woolhope
The original house was 17th century, built before the Reformation, and much improved by the Gregory but it was demolished and rebuilt in the 19th century by Henry William Booth.

1851 – Wessington Court Household

 

Henry William Booth 35 Landed Proprietor b. Stanstead Abbotts
Augusta Hope Booth 36 Wife b. Monmouthshire
Mary Georgina Booth 13 Daughter b. Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
Alice Elizabeth Booth 7 Daughter b. Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
Frances Agnes Booth 6 Daughter b. Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
William Cowper Cooper 40 Visitor, Magistrate and Barrister b. Middlesex
Georgina… Continue reading

History of Wilton Castle

Set Close to the River Wye in Wilton village near Ross on Wye, Wilton Castle itself dates back to the 12th century, whilst the adjoining manor house was built in the 15th century and was altered throughout the Norman, Tudor, Elizabethan, Georgian and Victorian periods. Continue reading

Related Pages