different types of research methods for dissertation The Church of St. Mary the Virgin was built in the 12th century, with additions in 14th century. There was much restoration work in the late 19th century.
Restoration of Humber Church
In November 1878 the church was re-opened after initial restoration work.
The chancel was restored over a two year period, and then the south wall was re-built; the open timber roof over the chancel was replaced and varnished, and the chancel re-seated with open benches of pitch pine. New encaustic tiles were laid down, with some of the ancient and valuable tiles re-laid within the altar rails.
A stone screen was erected between the nave and the chancel, with steps rising towards the altar.
Outside, the chancel roof was re-tiled; a stone cross was placed at the east end and crustiles formed the ridge.
The north walls of the nave were crumbling, so they had to be supported from the outside.
Mr. Thomas Wyatt of London was the architect, and J. Davies, a Leominster builder, carried out the work, and the stone used was taken from the quarry of Mr. Scarlet at Luston.
Further Restoration of Humber Church
A new transept was put in the north side, the gift of Captain Heygate of Buckland, and the old wooden spire was due to be replaced when funds allowed.
Part of the west wall was taken down, and the windows were much enlarged.
A new vestry was made out of the old belfry, and the whole of the nave was laid with encaustic tiles supplied by Messrs. Godwin of Lugwardine.
The high backed pews were removed and replaced with pitch pin seats, and the font was given new plinths.
There was a barrel organ in the old gallery at one time, but the Rector provided a harmonium.
Heating was hoped for but the money wasn’t available, so a coal stove did its best until such time as funds could be raised.
All of this work was enabled by voluntary donations, and a little help from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
In loving memory of Henry Greenwood – for 24 years Headmaster of Humber School who died 17th June 1919 aged 5I. “Peace, perfect Peace”. And of his wife Cicely Ann who died 3rd October 1935 aged 75 years. “Reunited”