Brampton Bryan Castle sat on a floodplain close to the River Teme, from where they could keep a close eye on the route from Wales through to Ludlow.

Although the castle appears in the Domesday book of 1086 it is not clear exactly when it was built, but it was known to belong to Ralph de Mortimer before passing to the Harley family to whom it belongs to this day along with estates at Brampton Bryan.
In the 17th century, the Civil War saw the castle almost completely destroyed, but the ruins can still be seen.

See Brampton Bryan Hall for full details.