Orleton Manor was built in the 16th century, and underwent some alterations in the mid 1800s followed by restoration in the late 20th century.
The manor was given by William the Conqueror to Ranulph de Mortimer, whose descendant, King Edward IV, held it apart from Crown lands. After the death of Edward, the manor was annexed to the Crown and later it passed from George Hopton to whom it was granted by James 1 to the Blount family.
The house is a beautiful timber building which suits the surroundings of the nearby Herefordshire Black and White village trail, and sits within large grounds which include ponds and landscaped gardens and orchards.
When oak panelings were removed during restoration, an ancient inscription was found over the fireplace in the state bedroom, supposed to have been used by Charles II after the battle of Worcester, and it was as follows: “Honner Him in Heart that souffered on the crosse for thee and worship him”.
When the old staircase was removed, a three pound cannon ball was found lodged in the wall.
The Blount family owned the house and the manor of Orleton for many many years, from 1655 to 1907 with it being passed down through the generations .
The last of the Blounts, Archibald Henry Blount died on 17th June 1907 aged 66 and left his manor at Orleton and the estate to the Yale university at New Haven, Connecticut, USA to be used or sold as they saw fit for their purposes; the following year the Orleton Manor and estate were put up for sale and it became home for a new family.
Orleton Manor Household – 1911
|John Richard Hill||b. Stableford, Salop 1849||Farmer|
|Alice Mary Hill||b. Leominster, Herefordshire 1846||Wife|
|John Arthur Hill||b. Orleton, Herefordshire 1885||Son. Farm Worker|
|Minnie Prince||b. Ludlow, Salop 1892||Cook|
|Gertrude Prince||b. Ludlow, Salop 1895||Housemaid|
|George Warburton||b. Kimbolton, Herefordshire 1892||Groom and general work|