St Andrew’s church at Bredwardine is an early Norman church with many interesting features and sits in a glorious position near to the River Wye. A notable vicar was the Victorian diarist, Francis Kilvert who held the position from 1877 until 1879.
The beautiful wooden Reredos behind the altar is a memorial to Caroline Broome-Giles, the daughter of a local doctor
The tower of this church is in a somewhat strange position, and it encroaches on the nave on the north side, which looks a little odd from inside. However, it is thought that the tower is perhaps of an age before the rest of the church, and it could have been a watch tower for the nearby castle (now non existent), with a small chapel attached.
The font at St. Andrews is late 12th century is huge and is carved from a single block of stone. The oak cover is of a later date, around 17th century
A damaged effigy, dating around late 14th century, thought to be Walter Baskerville (Lord of the Manor) who died in 1369 and would seem to have been huge!
Sir Roger Vaughan
Alabaster effigy, believed to be Sir Roger Vaughan who died defending King Henry V at the battle of Agincourt in 1415.
Henry Davies, died 30th November 1770 aged 73; also Margaret his wife who died 11th March 1788 aged 87, and Catherine their daughter who died 7th July 1762 aged 29