This church has Norman origins but has been much enlarged and restored over the centuries.
In 1864 the church was falling into disrepair, but the Rector, the Rev. Renn Hampden went a stage further than mere repairs, and he commissioned Sir Gilbert Scott to draw up plans for a rebuilding of the chancel which he paid for out of his own money. Following this, the parishioners helped to fund the rebuilding of the nave.
In 1868 work began on an oak roof, and the stalls were refurbished.
There is a lovely organ in the church which was given by the Rector in 1874, and the tower clock is a memorial to casualties of WW1.