Railways and and absconding husband
1844 – Sudden death at Credenhill
Ann Kyrwood, a married woman, thoroughly enjoyed a hearty supper one evening then keeled over and died.
It seems that she was epileptic, and her husband had been told to expect this sad occurrence.
1856 – Husband Absconds
William Nichols, an agricultural labourer from Credenhill, absconded from the Parish leaving a wife and four children.
£1 reward was offered to anyone with information that would lead to Nichols’ apprehension; he was described as about 34 years of age, 5 feet 11 inches tall, rather dark in complexion with some missing front teeth.
He was thought to have gone into Wales.
1862 – Progress of new Hereford, Hay and Brecon Railway
In June 1862, the work on this railway was progressing well despite poor weather.
A new engine, named “Hereford” had been on the line for a week, working hard to expedite the work of ballasting and removing earth. This engine was from the works of Messrs. Manning, Wardle and Co. of Leeds, and was a tank engine with three pairs of low wheels which enabled it to travel over the uneven gradients of the temporary rails with ease.
A double set of rails had been permanently laid, and the ballasting was nearly finished for a distance of three quarters of a mile from the junction with the loop line at Hereford. At the commencement of that distance the single line of rails started which had been laid as far as the ballast hill at Credenhill.
Completion of the line was expected to be rapid, and beyond Credenhill the line was said to be ready for the permanent way as far as the great cutting at Norton Canon. Mr. Sharp, the enterprising agent to Mr. Savin the contractor, intended to run temporary rails round the ballast hill in order to convey the materials for laying the permanent way beyond Credenhill.
The bridges that were built were “of unusual solidity”. The Three Elms bridge by which the road is carried over the railway, near the locality which was known as “the Dead Bridge” was nearly finished and was a huge structure on top of which would be wrought iron. The surrounding land had been greatly improved by straightening the meandering brook amongst other landscaping work. Stretton Bridge had already been completed, and traffic had been using it for some time.
The last bridge to be constructed on this section of the railway was to be at the old Roman Road at Credenhill.
There was to be a station at Credenhill and another at Morehampton on this first section of the railway.
1863 – The new Hereford, Hay, Brecon Railway Line is Opened
The powerful and very large engine “Alexandra” set off from the temporary station at Moorfields towards Eardisley, decorated on each side of the boiler with a number of flags and draped in wreaths of flowers.
There were nine carriages, but because it was the same days as the re-opening of Hereford Cathedral there were only a few passengers, however this did not seem to detract from the occasion. On starting, a number of fog signals were exploded and at Credenhill the station and signal posts were decorated with flags.
The train travelled on time, and at Eardisley lots of people gathered to see the first railway train, some of them deciding to ride it to Hereford for the Cathedral opening. The refreshment rooms at Eardisley, run by Miss Beavan of Hay, were full of excellent fare and she did a roaring trade.
The line was to be managed by Mr. George Findlay, whose commercial sense made sure that all of the trains on the line would include lst, 2nd and 3rd class carriages, and also that fares would be reasonable.
Public thanks were given to Messrs Savin and Ward for their rescue of the company, and it was said that everyone agreed it was one of the best made lines in the kingdom, for which praise was due to Mr. Sharpe, the representative for the above gentlemen.