Gun accidents and marriage of the vicar
1852 – Accidents with Guns at Lingen
In September 1852, Thomas Brown of Lingen was out with his gun and dog near Limebrook Mills; he had wounded a bird and was searching the hedgerow looking for it.
Unfortunately, his method of searching involved the risky business of knocking brambles and brushwood aside with the butt of his gun, and evenually one of the barrels exploded resulting in shot going into his thigh and setting his smalls on fire!
Someone who was with him at the time sent for Mr. E. Tearn, a surgeon of Presteign, who did everything that he could for Thomas, but sadly infection set in and he died a week later leaving a widow and child.
In the same week, a young man by the name of Alexander McCoy who was a hawker by trade, was wandering along the road when suddenly he was shot in the head and face.
Two men had been shooting birds in an adjoining turnip field, and had totally disregarded the safety of anyone passing by on the public road. When alerted by the cries of Alexander, they found that he had been hit over the eye and near the left temple, as well as next to his ear. With considerable difficulty they managed to remove many of the bits of shot, and then they poured some rum that they happened to have with them over the wounds.
Alexander carried on to Presteign, where the surgeon, Mr. Adney, took out the remaining shot and applied poultices to the wounds. Luckily he survived.
1899 – Marriage of the Vicar of Lingen
In August 1899, the Rev. Charles Leonard Edwards M.A. married Maud Renee Lavinia Rosenbush, daughter of Theordore Rosenbush, at Lingen Hall.
Although Maud was not known to Lingen residents, she had quickly won their hearts with her kindness and winsome manners, and on her wedding day thoughtfully drove in an open carriage through the village.
She wore a cream Bengaline silk dress with train, and the bodice was trimmed with ruched chiffon and pearls. Her veil was worn over sprays of orange blossom, and her bouquet was made up of pale yellow roses.
The bridesmaids, Miss Lilian Edwards and Miss Edith Chapman were dressed in white muslin, with an insertion of lace over green silk. The bodices were cross tucked muslin, and finished with green chiffon sashes; their hats were of burnt straw and green chiffon with pin roses, and they carried bouquets of red and pink roses which were the gift of the bridegroom who also gave them pearl crescent brooches.
Two nephews of the bridegroom, the Masters Shaw, followed in white sailor suits.