Transportations and other things

1838 – Transported for Sheep Stealing

John Stringer, a shoemaker, and Thomas Jones a flax dresser, stole a ram from Richard Garrold of Little Dewchurch.

Shortly after the theft was discovered John Stringer’s house was searched and a large amount of mutton was discovered – he had no choice but to confess his crime.

Thomas Jones had been convicted of felony before in 1823, and because sheep stealing was very much on the increase the Chairman of the bench decided to make an example of the two men.

John Stringer was sentenced to be transported for ten years, and Thomas Jones for fourteen.

1848 – Another transportation for Sheep Stealing

A married,  illiterate 53 year old man by the name of Thomas Whitcombe was charged with stealing one sheep at Little Dewchurch from Richard Osborne Garrold.

He admitted his guilt and was transported for seven years.

1845 – Child Dies after Swallowing Matches

Two year old Mary Ann Granger, of Little Dewchurch, was alone in her parents’ bedroom when she found some matches and swallowed some of them.

The matches were made of phosphorus, which were dangerous for two reasons – one because they were easily lit by accident, and the other because they were poisonous.

Some hours later, Mary became ill, and Mr. Morris, a surgeon from Dry-bridge was called in.  He tried everything he could think of, but the little girl died the next day.

At the inquest, the verdict was accidental death, and a warning was given that phosporus matches should be kept in a tin box, and well out of reach of children or “careless persons”.

1853 – The Rev Kyrle Money

It was announced at the beginning of November 1853 that the Rev. Kyrle Money had no choice but to resign the perpetual curacy of Little Dewchurch and Hentland due to ill health.

1857 – Russian War Casualty from Little Dewchurch

John Jeffreys  of Little Dewchurch was a private in the Queen’s Guards and fought at Balaclava, Inkermann and Sebastopol.

He died in the trenches.

1863 – Drunk from Little Dewchurch

Thomas Preece, a 16 year old lad from Little Dewchurch became drunk one night, and caused a bit of a nuisance in Gwynne Street.

The policeman who went to investigate the noise at around half past one in the morning, found Thomas to be very drunk, but before he could arrest him, Thomas pretended to have a fit.  He put on such a convincing performance that the plod went for a stretcher, but when he came back Thomas had got up and legged it over the bridge where he was standing stripped and ready to fight.

Indeed, fight he did and he put the policeman on the floor twice.

In court, he was fined 5s plus costs.

1899 – Scarlet Fever at Little Dewchurch

The Deputy Medical Officer of Health, Mr. H.C. Moore, reported that a house in Little Dewchurch which had suffered an outbreak of Scarlet Fever, had experienced more cases.

1899 – Missing Man Returns to Little Dewchurch

Isaac Davies a 60 year old man from New. Tredegar South Wales, was a married man who had recently lost his job as a Clerk.


Isaac and his wife decided to take a short holiday in Little Dewchurch with relatives, but when he set off on horseback to Hereford to pick up a bottle of medicine his wife awaited his return in vain.


Some days later, Isaac turned up back in Little Dewchurch but in a very agitated and distressed state of mind, with his new breeches torn at the knees.

He said that he was lost in a wood with a high hedge round it and had to wait for a man to come to cut it;  he had been seen on the highway at Sellack with an armful of hay which he said he was taking to his horse.  However the horse was found at Hoarwithy tied up and alone.


Isaac’s wife took him back to New Tredegar where she took care of him;  it does sound as if he had rather lost his mind after the shock and upset of losing his job.