Preston is a fairly common place name, which comes from Presetune (used in the Doomsday Book 1086) meaning Priest Town, and this village sits on the bank of the river Wye some 8 miles from Hereford.
Many of the village buildings are sixteenth and seventeenth century, including The Elms, Willow Farm, Green Farm and Lower Bellamore Farm, and some houses have roof timbers which date from even earlier. The current Preston Court is 16th century and was a present from Godiva and her sister to Hereford Cathedral. Huntley Court dates from the same period and belonged to the Delahay family.
Churches of Preston on Wye
- St. Lawrence Church - Preston on Wye
The 13th century church of St. Lawrence at Preston on Wye was restored in 1625, and then more comprehensively in 1883Read More >
Buildings of Preston on Wye
- Preston Court History
This medieval manor house was built in the early 16th century, with alterations in the 17th century and renovations at a later date.Read More >