This church was extensively restored in 1865, the cost being born by Mrs. Hope whose brother in law was Rev’d Edward Higgins of Bosbury Manor. Apparently he suffered a nasty riding accident, and was nursed in Coddington Rectory until better. Mrs. Hope was so grateful (and wealthy) that she paid £1832 for the restoration.
The architect was F.R. Kempson of Hereford, and the contractors were Messrs. Collins and cullis of Teewkesbury.
The organ chamber on the north side; the entrance porch on the south and the roof of the chancel and nave were completely replaced, and the church was re-seated with open oak sittings with neat cushions; the floor was laid with Godwin’s celebrated encaustic tiles. The pulpit was removed from the north to the south side of the church, and the original gallery at the west end was removed so that the tower was open to the body of the church. The new tower and spire were much admired.
The bowl of the 13th century font in All Saints, Coddington, is a modern replacement due to extensive damage.
Edward Martindale Vale, Francis Villiers Vale
Edward Martindale Vale who died at sea on 21st January 1880 aged 24. Also Francis Villiers Vale, Chief Officer of the “Melbourne” who drowned at sea on 20th September 1886 aged 27 by capsizing of the ship’s lifeboat whilst he was gallantly try to rescue a sailor who had fallen overboard. They were the 2nd and 3rd sons of Major H. E. Vale