St. Katherine’s Chapel is an extension to the church, and the name relates to Katherine Audley who was born in 1272. Her family was wealthy and she was a cousin of King Edward 11, living in the nearby village of Much Marcle. She had a dream which told her to travel until she found a church where the bells “were ringing of their own accord”, and there she should set down her roots and help the poor and needy. She came to Ledbury with her maid Mabel, and found the bells ringing “of themselves”. She spent the rest of her life in Ledbury, and devoted herself to those in need – she never actually attained Sainthood but nevertheless is referred to as St. Katherine of Ledbury.
In 1854, measures were taken to complete the much delayed and desperately needed work of restoration on St. Katherine’s Chapel.