The village of Foy lies some 3 miles from Ross on Wye, and is tiny with just a small handful of houses and farms.
Foy is actually split by the River Wye, with East Foy (or English Foy) on one side and West Foy ( or West Foy) on the other. In the long ago past crossing from one part to the other was only possible by ferry or ford, but in 1876 a suspension bridge was built; this was washed away by floods and rebuilt in 1919, however it is not big or strong enough to carry cars.
The politician Lord Mandelson for reasons only known to himself decided to adopt the title “Lord Mandelson of Foy”, much to the chagrin of the locals who wanted nothing to do with him.
Admittedly he did once own a cottage here in the 1980s, probably as a result of fond memories of childhood holidays spent in Foy, but he didn’t really use it and quickly sold it again.
Churches of Foy
- St. Mary's Church - Foy
The present church dates from the early 13th century, with additions in the 14th century, but a much earlier one once stood on the site – all that remains of this are the old broken font and stoup which lie in the churchyard.Read More >