http://www.bubblezorbing.cz/?educ=maps20 Much Marcle is a sprawling village set about four miles from Ledbury on the Ross on Wye road. Agriculture has always been the main occupation for villagers, although cider making has also provided employment.
http://www.bubblezorbing.cz/?educ=maps18 Many of the 17th and 18th century farm building still survive, as do several cottages. Rising up from the village is a hill known as Marcle Ridge, and it was here that on 17th February 1575 a hefty landslip occurred – trees and animals were carried down the hill and deposited at the bottom – this event became known as “The Wonder” and in Victorian times people travelled from far and wide to view it, but for villagers at the time it must have been very frightening indeed.
http://www.allaerialsandsatellites.co.uk/?educ=maps42 An old pack horse route descending steeply from the top of Marcle Ridge has some old lime kilns, in fairly good order, set alongside the path.
There was also a castle within the parish, Mortimers Castle – now all that remains is the motte and a ditch, which is just about visible next to the village primary school.
Churches of Much Marcle
- St. Bartholomew's Church - Much Marcle
The church is huge for the size of the village population, and just outside the main door is a famous yew tree which is estimated to be at least 1200 years old. Unfortunately it is now slightly worse for wear, which is not surprising given it’s age and the fact that visitors cannot resist sitting inside it.Read More >
Buildings of Much Marcle
- Homme House History
Set in the lovely countryside on the edge of Much Marcle, Homme house in its original state was built of stone, but all that remains now of that building is the tower. A devastating fire resulted in the house being rebuilt in the early 17th century, and it was further altered in the 19th century. Today it is mainly red brick.Read More >
- Hall Court History
Hall Court at Kynaston, Much Marcle is a handsome timber framed building, which has mostly been used as a farm house down the years. It is thought that the gardens and orchards were laid out by John Coke who built the house, and who was keen on kitchen gardening as well as exotic or little known plants.Read More >