The original Aramstone House dated back to the early 17th century, when it was owned by the Marrett family, then it passed to the Woodhouse family through marriage. Francis Woodhouse rebuilt the house in around 1730 and it stood in gorgeous grounds close to the River Wye. Outside features included an ice house; a cold bath, glasshouses and a dovecote.
In 1793 The Woodhouses moved away and Aramstone House was advertised for let, either furnished or unfurnished, for 3, 5 or 7 years and described thus:… Continue reading
The village of Kings Caple, nearly five miles from Ross on Wye, gained its name by dint of the fact that during the time of the Norman Conquest the residents were Welsh speaking people who owed allegiance to English kings – as opposed to neighbouring How Caple and Caplefore (Brockhampton) which belonged to the Canons of Hereford Cathedral.
Tales of accidents, assault and other stuff Continue reading
The church of St. John the Baptist at Kings Caple is 13th century, however there were additions in the 14th century which included the tower. Continue reading