Almeley (meaning Elm Meadow) was built in it’s glorious location in the Herefordshire countryside over a thousand years ago, and has views over the Wye Valley, Brecon Beacons and the Black Mountains.   There was a castle here, reputed to have been erected in the first part of the 13th century during the reign of King John, and up until the mid 1600s the ruins were still evident, but now all that remains is the motte and bailey.

Churches of Almeley

  • St. Mary's Church

    This church is the result of much rebuilding and extending over the years – beginning in the 12th century and continuing through to the 1800s.

    Read More >

People of Almeley

  • The Almeley Quaker

    The Summer House in Almeley once housed the early Almeley Quaker, Roger Prichard

    Read More >
  • Sir John Oldcastle

    Sir John was born in around 1378 in Herefordshire, to Sir Richard Oldcastle, and due to the wealth of his parents gained an excellent education. Many people will know of Sir John from the works of Shakespeare, who based Sir John Falstaff in King Henry IV upon him. He was actually better known generally for being a leader of the Lollards and a supporter of Wycliffe, his home in the village of Almeley, North Herefordshire, being a staunch Lollard area, and he was thought of as “The good Lord Cobham”.

    Read More >

Buildings of Almeley

  • Newport House History

    Newport House was also known as Nieuport House, and stands just under a mile out of Almeley village in beautiful countryside; although there is no known architect it is assumed that it was a mason from either Hereford or Worcester.

    Read More >


News from the Past Almeley