The small village of Moccas is on the south bank of the River Wye twelve miles from Hereford, and the name is made up of two Welsh words – mochyn meaning pig, and rhos meaning moor.
Moccas Court was built in the early eighteenth century, and is a very fine, very large brick built mansion. Over the centuries, the Cornewall family retained ownership, but now it has gone the way of so many country houses that are so expensive to maintain and it is used variously as a wedding location; B & B, and party venue. Continue reading
Mad dog, fatal falls and more Continue reading
This Norman church dedicated to St. Michael & All Angels was built in around 1130, but fell into disrepair over the centuries. In the early part of the 18th century repairs were made, and in 1978 it was re-roofed. This is one of the Herefordshire churches which sports a Green Man! Continue reading