Fire, Bigamy and wife beaters Continue reading
Pembridge Castle, originally called Newland Castle sits on the Welsh border and was thought by some to have been built by Matilda de Valery, wife of William Braose, in the late 12th century or early 13th. However, others say that the castle was built by Ralph de Pembridge in 1135. Whatever the truth, the Pembridge family were in residence in 1208 and it was probably at this time that the name changed from Newlands to Pembridge. Continue reading
This gorgeous little church, built during the thirteenth century with additions in the fourteenth century, and numerous restorations in later years, originally belonged to the Knights Templar until 1312. It was an attachment of their preceptory at Garway. Continue reading
The village of Welsh Newton sits on the border between Herefordshire and Monmouthshire.