Tales of disgraceful behaviour;  Christmas Cheer and suicide

1844 – Disgraceful Conduct in the Wesleyan Chapel

During a Sunday evening service, some “ignorant or wanton” person outside, broke the window behind the minister causing some considerable mayhem.

The minister was hit on the head by flying glass, and some women near to the pulpit were also struck, although fortunately they had their backs to the window at the time.

If the culprits were caught, they would be served a penalty of £40, a huge amount in those days, or if they could not pay, a long term of imprisonment.

1859 – Christmas Cheer at Butchers

According to the Hereford Times:

“Messrs. Daniel and Walker, Butchers of Bodenham, who have for several years past at the festive season of Christmas, spared no pains in providing an abundant supply of the good things of this life, have again this year displayed such a show of meat which makes no mean appearance in any town in the kingdom. In the shop of Mr. Walker were one excellent cow, weighting 11 stone per quarter, fed by Mr. Hodges of Amberly; a splendid four year old heifer fed by Mr. Hayes of Burghope; four fine sheep and two wethers, fed by Mr. George Powell; two ewes fed by Mr. Jones of Rowberry and Mr. Rudge of Marden, and a prime porker.

In the shop of Mr. Daniel was a splendid cow weighing 18 stone per quarter fed by Mr. Jones of Rowberry Farm, Bodenham; two very fine sheep, a very large bacon and a first rate porker.

1899 – Suicide of a Groom

James Harris, a 74 year old groom employed by Lord Radnor, was found in his bedroom with his throat cut. His wife, Mary Ann Harris, said that he had not been well for a few months but still went to work.

On the Sunday of his death, he was very quiet but they went for a walk during the evening, after which he said he felt weak and went upstairs. When he didn’t respond to her calls, she sent for George Maple who found him in the bedroom sitting in a chair in front of a mirror with a razor in his hand and his throat cut.

Dr. Kempe of Salisbury attended at 8 that night, and said that the windpipe was severed along with several blood vessels in the neck; in his opinion the wound was self inflicted. James Harris died an hour later.