Breinton lies just a couple of miles west of Hereford, but despite being so close to the city it is gloriously peaceful and rural.
However this peace and seclusion is under threat with the “pressing need” for more housing, and villages like Breinton could well be swallowed up by the city of Hereford as it expands ever outwards.
Churches of Breinton
- St. Michael's Church - Breinton
St. Michael’s is a delightful church, steeped in history which starts in the 12th century. It underwent complete restoration in the latter part of the 19th century.Read More >
People of Breinton
- The du Buisson family
The du Buisson family feature large in the history of this parishRead More >
- John Cranston
In 1785, a Glaswegian by the name of John Cranston developed huge nurseries in the Breinton parish and one of his sons, James, was responsible for planting most of the Cedar trees around Hereford. Both men are buried under a Cedar of Lebanon tree planted by James in the churchyard and the name of Cranston lives on in the shape of an onion – Cranston’s Excelsior – which was named in their honour.Read More >
- Dr. Henry Graves Bull
Dr. Henry Graves Bull founded the British Mycological Society (the study of fungi),Read More >
- Captain Rudhall Booth
An ancestor of Captain Rudhall Booth was Bishop Booth of Hereford.Read More >