Tales of drink driving and chicken thieves Continue reading
The passing of the centuries has seen many changes to the church, some necessitated by natural forces such as lightening striking the spire in 1638; subsidence in the 19th century, and a devastating fire in 1917. Also in the mid 17th century Parliamentary men who were determined to destroy all Popish symbols and finery, entered Bosbury and smashed most of the stained glass in the chapel as well as the stoup of holy water.
The Grange dates back to the 15th century although not in its present form, and was owned by James Halfhide (or Hawfield) before being passed to Anthony Hawfield, Richard Hawfield and John Hawfield successively. More Hawfields followed, but in 1749 Richard Hardwicke owned the Grange and by 1802 the house was tenanted to Robert Drew who eventually bought it.
Robert Drew remained on the estate until 1818. Continue reading